This is a project I did ages ago, but I realised I was yet to show it to you! This light weight dressing gown used to belong to my Gran. I kept it because I love the fabric (I’m a sucker for a good floral), but I never wore it. Last spring I was dreaming of sunny days and floaty floral dresses so I though I’d alter the dressing gown and turn it into a dress that’s more flattering for me. Spring has come around again and my thoughts are returning to pretty spring dresses, such as this one! These photos are from when I originally altered this dress (sorry they’re not the best) – but I will show you some new outfit photos of the dress soon!
The first thing I wanted to change about this dress was the length. I realise that mid-length is popular at the moment, but because I’m small and short, I think a shorter length is more flattering on me. I simply cut off the bottom part of the dressing gown and re-hemmed it.
The next thing I tackled was the sleeves. The original sleeves weren’t doing me any favours, so I unpicked them. But I thought that some kind of sleeve would be nice.
I wanted to create a sleeve that looked less dressing gown-y so I drafted a short, floaty sleeve and cut them out of the fabric that I cut off from the hem.
The wrap style of the dressing gown meant that it was done up with only two buttons at the waist – fine for a dressing gown, but not so good for a dress. I added a couple of internal buttons (on the inside of the overlapping section of the skirt) so a gust of wind won’t cause me to expose myself!
With the hem shortened, new sleeves sewn in, hidden buttons attached and the corresponding buttonholes done, my new dress is finished. I’ll post some newer photos of me wearing it soon!
Check out other people’s creative spaces here.
Edit: I have now posted some new photos of the dress, which you can see here.
© 2011, Angela. All rights reserved. On reposting any images contained herein you must provide link to original post. Please don’t repost entire posts without my permission.